Pickup routing

Category: Guitar building

2016-11-25 13:58:57

This week's job was to route the holes for the pickups. For the J pickup I've used a template from StewMac. It wasn't exactly right on the corners and ends, but it's close enough, and I'm happy with the fit.

I was extremely pleased to see the copper lined channel appear at the right place - means I didn't mess that bit up!

Next was the P pickup - this one I've made my own template from MDF. The routing went OK, and I then had to use a chisel to square off the edges of the cuts - the pickups have a tiny radius on their corners, so the router bit couldn't do that.

The copper channel turned up again, and I was able to feed some of the wires through as a test. Looks good so far.